Friday 2 January 2009

Bring It On

Funny thing.

There we were, driving to a friend's New Year's Eve party, our three kids in the back seat, Darling Hubby at the wheel, and me texting felicitous messages from my mobile phone. I commented how quiet it seemed - we were the only car on a usually quite busy road. Suddenly, Darling Hubby slows the car.

And here's the funny bit. A sleek, JET BLACK CAT had decided to step out on the road right in front of us, slowly amble all the way across with its head held high and tail in the air, and having safely made it all the way across our bit of road, disappeared into the night.

Darling Hubby and I looked at each other. Not known for his optimism, DH stated "That's our year ahead, then."

Now, I don't consider myself a superstitious person in general (though I have been known to knock on wood on many occasions).

But I've decided I'm going to accept this Black Cat Crossing Our Path as gesture of goodwill. It's good luck. We didn't run it over, so that's got to be good. It looked happy enough, not sinister or ill-willed, and I've seen some terribly-mooded cats in my time. And in fact, this cat seemed to be so deliberately flaunting its black-cattedness as it crossed our path, I think it was actually saying to us, "Notice me, because I am a portent of all things good to happen for you on this eve of 2009 - a propitious future is coming your way".

And anyway, the next morning we were swimming in my mother's pool when the children noticed four butterflies dancing around us in the bright morning light. Princess rightly pointed out that having butterflies dancing around you is such very good luck, and would make any bad luck caused by any black cat go away. And Chuckles shrewdly followed up this sentiment with "Butterflies eat black cats" (well, it was more "buffwies eat bwack cat", but you get my drift).

So I'm looking forward to 2009.

2008 was a very challenging year for us. And I'm sure 2009 will be no less challenging. But I'm ready to face it with a spring in my step. That black cat didn't appear for nothing.

Not that I'm superstitious.

And I wish you all a propitious new year too.

No comments: